Granola Three Ways

Though my mother may be lacking in the food department on this blog, she is never lacking in her home... we all know that. So while she remains too busy to give us all some very-much-wanted recipes, I thought it finally time for me to step up to the plate. I have a great granola recipe to share with you. It is a combined and modified version of two recipes, one from my Quinoa: The Everyday Superfood cookbook ("the ultimate granola") and the second from the Clean Eating Magazine website ("simple sunflower seed granola"). I also modify it every time I make it depending on what nuts, seeds and dried fruit I have around, so it can always be a little different. I should mention that though not necessary uncooked quinoa should be soaked overnight or for a minimum of eight hours, then rinsed before using. This makes the quinoa more digestible. Homemade granola is definitely something you should always have in the house. It makes a great fast and nutritious snack, and I've included three other ways that you can use it to make delicious, healthy treats. Enjoy!

GRANOLA
makes approximately seven cups
2 1/2 cups large-flake rolled oats - I use a combination of spelt, kamut and rye flakes
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 cup whole or slivered almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/3 cup uncooked quinoa - should be soaked overnight
1/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup walnuts or walnut pieces
1/3 cup dried cranberries or any other dried fruit
1/4 cup raisins or any other dried fruit
1/2 cup agave nectar or 1 cup maple syrup
2 tsp ground cinnamon
optional:
4 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp sea salt
(I put these as 'optionals' because I think it important to note that neither vanilla extract or salt is necessary for this recipe, it will be just as delicious without them. And I understand that not everyone would enjoy the addition of peanut butter as much as I do).

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until evenly blended.
Spread the mixture onto a large baking sheet and bake at 225 for about one hour.
Let cool and enjoy.
Granola can be kept in a sealed container in the pantry for up to four weeks.

GRANOLA BARS

This simple recipe from the Best Health Magazine website, originally called "peanut power balls", has been modified to fit my already-made granola and Mark's desire for granola bars to take to work.

makes 8-10 bars or approximately 20 balls
2 cups granola
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup honey or agave nectar (if using agave, try using less, ideally half the amount)
optional: 1/3 cup chopped peanuts - this compliments the peanut butter nicely

In a large bowl combine granola and chopped peanuts, if using. In a small saucepan bring honey to a boil, and boil vigorously for 30 seconds, then whisk in the peanut butter. Pour the mixture onto the granola and mix until evenly blended. While the mixture is still warm, form into bars or balls. Refrigerate until firm. These can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Wrap in wax paper, then saran wrap if necessary, for portability. (The wax paper helps to keep the moisture in, something my mother taught me).

FROZEN BERRY GRANOLA SQUARES
This recipe is directly from the Clean Eating Magazine website. These are a perfect treat on a hot day, along with being a good bedtime snack and even a quick breakfast. They are delicious, even the picky-eating boys I live with loved them, a real surprise.

1 cup granola
2 cups fresh strawberries or raspberries or a combination
3 cups greek yogurt
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 tsp real vanilla extract

1. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil.
2. Sprinkle granola evenly on bottom of pan and set aside.
3. In a blender, whirl together berries, yogurt, agave and vanilla until blended.
4. Pour berry mixture over granola, smoothing mixture to the edges of the pan. Cover with foil and freeze until firm, approximately four hours.
Keep frozen until serving, though giving some time to defrost slightly will make them easier to eat.

YOGURT BOWLS
This is my favourite, I eat it almost every day as it never gets boring and I often discover more delicious and nutritious ingredients to add to it. I love this as a breakfast, a snack, and even a small dinner when its appropriate. What you put in it and what proportions you use are completely up to you. Below is a just a suggestion list, use it to suit your own taste buds and desires. If adding granola from the recipe above, it already contains many nuts and seeds, but add extra of your favourites, like I do with walnuts and chia seeds. Even the kind of yogurt you use can vary, as there are so many different kinds on the market today. Try plain, greek, goat or kefir. I have recently started eating greek yogurt, a creamier yogurt much richer in protein, and though I don't mind a little bit of plain yogurt added to a bowl of berries, when I want more yogurt and not be overcome by the tangy flavour of plain greek yogurt, I mix my regular yogurt with the greek. This may also be a good way to wean people into greek yogurt. Though you can get flavoured greek yogurt, but watch out for added sugar.

Use whatever amount and kind of yogurt you prefer and add any or all of the following:
homemade granola
whole or pieces of nuts - almonds, pecans, walnuts, peanuts
seeds - sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, chia
berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
kiwi
banana
cinnamon
nut butter - peanut, almond, walnut - this is surprisingly delicious
dried fruit

Mix it all together and enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts