Stewed Rhubarb


Walking by the fruit market yesterday I found rhubarb. I have been waiting for local asparagus & rhubarb to be available. There was only a small amount at the market so I am hoping to head down to St. Lawrence Farmers Market on Saturday and hopefully stock up.

Rhubarb has a wonderful tart flavour and when sweetened gives you the taste sensation of sweet and sour all in one. I am hoping to create some recipes where I can preserve the rhubarb so we can enjoy it throughout the year. Meanwhile yesterday I simply stewed it and served it with ice cream as a dessert. Max, Connor and Renee ate it up and loved it. There was some left over so I have put it in a jar and look forward to eating today mixed with vanilla yogurt.


Ingredients:

4 cups rhubarb cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup


Place all the ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat immediately and simmer for 30 minutes stirring on occasion. Let cool and serve with ice cream or yogurt.



Comments

  1. Great recipe! Easy and tastes great with the maple syrup. I'm enjoying it now as I comment. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts