Penne a la Vodka



Winter is starting to effect my waistline. It has been so cold this month that all I want to eat are rich, creamy, fatty meals. We have the Wii fit program and it informed me that I am 4 lbs heavier than I was this time last year. Not a good sign. This recipe is not going to help the situation either. It is loaded with cream, bacon & cheese. However you won't be disappointed as it is full of flavour.

I no longer remember which recipe I followed when I started making this dish so I guess I can claim this one as my own as I have changed it over the years to suit my tastes. It is great on its own served on pasta or you can add some cooked sausage or chicken to your plate to make a more substantial meal.

Ingredients:

4 slices of bacon or panchetta cut into cubes
1 shallot minced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup vodka
1 can of whole tomatoes or a bottle of passata( as shown in the photo)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated parmigiana

1. In a pot saute the bacon until almost crisp and then remove and reserve til later.

2. In the same pot saute shallot and garlic. Add a little olive oil if there is not enough bacon fat. Once soft about 3 minutes, add the vodka. Turn up the heat and reduce it by half. Add the tomato and let it simmer for 20 minutes.


3. Add the cream and cheese and with an immersion blender puree the sauce. Add the bacon back to the pot and season with pepper if you like. Be careful with salt as the bacon and cheese are usually salty enough to flavour the sauce.

4. Serve with a larger pasta such as penne or rigatoni.

Comments

Popular Posts