Spelt Pancakes with Bananas & Blueberries


I have been making pancakes from scratch for quite a while now and continue to experiment with different kinds of flour. Spelt is quick becoming one of my favourites. It has a wonderfully nut like flavour and I have been able to find local milled Spelt flour from Madoc, Ontario. Ontario blueberries are in season and are sweet and juicy so I used these in this recipe as well as bananas. I have used strawberries in the past as well.

I do try to buy in season local foods as often as possible. I do have my exceptions though and bananas are one of them. The taste of the banana mixed with the maple syrup is too good to pass up. Rick likes to spread peanut butter on his pancakes and then drizzle the maple syrup on as well. Another great flavour combination!


Ingredients: Will make approx 14 pancakes

1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 t salt
3 T cane sugar ( white is fine)
1 3/4 t baking powder
2 eggs slightly beaten
3 T melted butter or canola oil
1 to 1 1/4 cups milk or soy milk

Sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Quickly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
Heat your griddle or fry pan to medium high. Lightly butter the surface and drop approx 1/3 cup of pancake mixture for each pancake. Cook until you see the edges slightly browning approx 2 minutes, Add your fruit and gently flip the pancake to cook the other side. HINT: After you add your fruit press down on it slightly with the spatula. This will push it into the batter and prevent it from rolling away when you flip the pancake.




Comments

Popular Posts