White Bean & Corn Soup


Connor has been away at summer camp for close to 4 weeks. Since it has only been Rick & myself at home I have simply been picking up food daily rather than doing a big grocery. I opened the cupboards yesterday to find that we have become old mother Hubbord. I decided rather than heading to Vince's again I would make due with what was available in my kitchen. The weather has cooled some this week in Toronto and I thought soup would be a nice change of pace. I managed to dig up a carrot, a leek, a can of corn, and a can of beans and voila I had the makings for a soup.

I picked up Rick at work and on our way to Yoga he asked me what was for dinner. I told him we were having soup and his response was " And what else?". In the end he was not disappointed. I had some left over Multi Grain Croutons and an Avocado. I topped the soup with the Croutons and served the Avocado on the side simply drizzled with some light olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. It turned out to be a perfect summer meal.

Tip: When making soups where the base is either vegetable or chicken broth a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving really brings out the flavours of all the ingredients.

Ingredients:

2 T olive oil
1 leak diced
3 cloves of garlic
1 carrot diced
1 small can of corn
1 small can of white kidney beans
1 litre of sodium reduced vegetable broth
salt & pepper
1 scallion diced
handful of parsley chopped
juice from half a lemon

In a soup pot add the oil and the leak. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the leek has softened. Add the garlic and the carrot and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the corn, beans, broth, salt & pepper and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Just before serving add the scallion, parsley & lemon juice. Top with croutons if you have them or serve with a nice piece of bread.



Comments

Popular Posts