Spelt Pasta with Grape Tomatoes & Boccaccini


Elia has made it her mission in life to get Rick & I to stop eating white pasta. We are always open to trying new foods but whole wheat pastas have not impressed me so far. They have improved over the years but white pasta still holds a special place in my heart/stomach.

The last time Elia visited in May we took our usual trip to the St. Lawrence market on a Saturday morning. Elia scouted out the spelt pasta that I used for this recipe. It has been in my cupboard for 2 months and I was finally inspired to make something with it on Monday of this week.



We had spent the weekend at our friends Matthew & Margarets cottage and during a conversation about good food Margaret told me of a pasta she prepares using Boccaccini. This was my inspiration to create this delicious dish and finally use the spelt pasta.

Both Rick & I found the fresh grape tomatos & the boccaccini to be perfect compliments to the spelt pasta. It was a fresh and tasty summer pasta. I love a recipe with basic ingredients and simple to prepare.


Ingredients:

1 400 gram package of Spelt pasta ( I used Bow Ties)
1 pint of Grape Tomatoes
1 500 gram container of Boccaccini ( Approx 1 1/2 cups)
3 cloves of Garlic minced
3 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Basil for garnish

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add your pasta and cook as per the package instructions.

While the pasta is cooking slice the grape tomatoes in half and mince the garlic.



Drain the pasta and return the pot to the stove. Add the olive oil and garlic. Cook on Medium to low heat just until the garlic is fragrant. You don't want to brown it. Add the drained pasta, tomatoes & boccaccini to the pot and toss. You can add extra olive oil if necessary to fully coat the pasta. Serve immediately topped with basil.



Comments

  1. I met a nice boy at work last night, he was born in Kenya, raised in Sudan. When I mentioned I was from Toronto, he asked if I missed my parents. I said not really (dont worry you know I miss you guys). And he said, "yes you do, I can see it in your eyes that you miss your Mom."

    The pasta looks amazing and I'm sure it was real tasty! Way to contribute to your health (I'm very proud), keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts